10 Random Construction Terms
Posted in Construction
by saket rusia
On August 26, 2011
- Warping: Any distortion in material
- Water closet (WC): Another name for toilet or rest-room.
- Yard of concrete: One cubic yard of concrete is 3’x3’x3′ in volume or 27 cubic feet. One cubic yard of concrete will pour 80 square feet of 3½” sidewalk or basement/garage floor.
- Turnkey: A term used when the subcontractor provides all materials (and labor) for a job.
- Scribing: Cutting and fitting woodwork to an irregular surface.
- Dado: A groove cut into a board or panel intended to receive the edge of a connecting board or panel.
- Cripple: Short vertical “2 by 4’s or 6’s” frame lumber installed above a window or door.
- Escrow: The handling of funds or documents by a third party on behalf of the buyer and/or seller.
- Corner braces: Diagonal braces at the corners of the framed structure designed to stiffen and strengthen the wall.
- Bay window: Any window space projecting outward from the walls of a building, either square or polygonal in plan.